Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gen 3- Staying is worse than leaving.

I gripped the bars of the jail cell that I was placed in, my knuckles started to turn white but I refused to let go. Honestly, I wouldn't care if my fingers just gave out and fell off.
My eyes were pinned on the enter sign...The only thing running through my mind was "I'm not guilty. So don't act guilty." Over and over again.
Aphrodite was asleep. Now that we've been here for almost two hours I believe that our parents aren't coming on purpose just to teach us a lesson. That is, until the door opened around 9:00 pm...

The consistent glare focused on me from the doorway caused me to sink back from the bars and shake Aphrodite until she was standing up in front of me. My mom didn't tear her gaze away from me though, no matter how scared and small I must have looked, cowering behind my best friend...I would have never owned up to being such a wimp, but I deserve it...Even though I've not even done anything wrong.

"Aphrodite, please let me talk to my daughter." She flipped around and shot me a look of complete terror as my mom gripped the bars and I inched closer hesitantly.

"Is this some cry for attention? Are you trying to get everyone to look at you and say 'Oh, poor girl. got herself mixed up in drugs.' Ande, I don't care anymore! All you've been to this family is a problem! I have half a mind to just leave you here and let you sort this out on your own. But I'm your mother and I still love you. I'm taking you home, but you aren't leaving your room for ANYTHING. If you're ever caught with drugs again, you will never see sunlight again, understand?"
She let out a sigh as soon as she realized that I wasn't planning on responding. I hadn't talked to my mother other than to fight with her since I was 15. I'll never admit this to her, but she doesn't really realize how much I really do need her guidance.

"Come on girls." Officer O'Conner opened up the cell soon after mom paid bail, it was easier for her than it would usually be in any real civilization because she like owned the ground we all walked on or something. I found it easier just to listen and by the time I got home...I was ready just to curl into a ball in my bed and stay there for as long as I needed. I was ready to not care anymore...

So, when it got late enough, dark enough, and I had enough hate and resentment balled up in my heart for not only Riley, but for my own family...I got up out of bed, threw on the first outfit I could find, and packed up everything that had any importance to me. Before I tiptoed through the living room, I called Aphrodite and told her to meet me on the beach...and then I left.

"Ande...what are you doing?" Aphrodite grabbed my arm as I neared the edge of the ocean. "You'll get yourself wet."

"I don't care. I'm leaving. I don't ever want to see this island, Riley, or my family...Ever again."

 "What do you mean, you're leaving?" the look that crossed her face showed heartbreak...I couldn't look her straight into her eyes
"I'm taking a boat and I'm leaving." As I said this, I hopped into one of the stray boats that looked sturdy enough to make it to...somewhere other than here.

"What about me? Damnit Ande! Don't leave me here alone with Riley!" Aphrodite begged but I just kept rowing further and further.
"I can do whatever the fuck I please. You can't stop me. Hell, I don't even know why I called you here."

"I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND...ANDE...PLEASE DON'T!" tears finally started streaming down my face. I don't want to leave her but if I don't, I'll never get away from this damned island. I rowed far enough that I could no longer hear what she was yelling at me...and that, in a way, killed me.

I set out on my own...I didn't know where to go, how to get there, or how I was going to ever survive...But confidence in myself is all I really needed.
I let the wind take me where it wanted...If I died on the sea, I wouldn't mind that either because I'd still be away from the wretched island that kept me prisoner for so much of my life. So, I was running away...Even that thought didn't bother me as much as it should...

I had it easy on my little boat. I was lucky enough to find a bit of old metal that could easily be used as a bowl or in my case...a fire pit.
Every night I caught fish and cooked it over a tiny fire. I had to teach myself how to start a fire with two pieces of wood but it really isn't as hard as it seems.

On the 9th day, while I was asleep and curled up in the bottom of my boat, I finally hit land. I stepped out of the boat easily and being on hard ground for the first time in a week and a half really takes a toll on you...But I almost didn't notice how off balance and awkward I felt...

When I saw the large buildings of Bridgeport.

14 comments:

  1. Wow!! She ran away!! I don't know what to say. I'm happy that she got away ,but sad that she left Aphrodite. People are going to miss her.

    ~Zoe~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure did. But remember that she was only thinking about herself this time and the consequences for that may be bigger than anyone knows at this point.
      And yes, people are really going to miss her.

      Delete
  2. She ran away? I'm not sure I like this. I really don't know what happened to Della. I am perplexed by this outcome.

    Can't wait for the next one.

    Ashby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did. And she never plans on coming back. so, you better get used to the idea of No Della and Adam and no Della and Jay. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it.
      Della is just trying to be a mom...

      Delete
  3. Awesome post. I can't wait to see how Ande survives the big city on her own.
    I wonder if Della is worrying about her right now, I bet she is. :)
    Looking forward to reading more soon. :D

    ~Dawn Turner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn :3 I think Ande is tough enough to do it on her own. Don't you?
      I'll tell you honestly that Della does blame herself. And Adam blames everyone else XD
      Hehe

      Thanks for commenting

      Delete
  4. I think Della went crazy. She did it again, not listening to why Ande took drugs.Hope she gets on in the big city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did go crazy but she really is just trying to be a good mom. Its not her fault that she is a little bit overprotective of not only Ande but Aphrodite too. But you're right. she didn't listen again.

      Delete
  5. AWESOME. But Della should really listen to what her daughter has to say for once. I mean she sent her to the go to the house of a girl who TRIED TO KILL HER. That just screams bad idea. If you ask me she was asking for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Della just needs a break from being a mom for like...two seconds. But who has ever heard of that from a Wriner? Hahah

      She tried to make Riley and Ande get along...who can blame her for that one?

      Thanks for commenting Frells :3

      Delete
  6. Good Lord, Della! Shut up for one nanoclick and let Ande tell you what happened! Stop jumping to conclusions!

    ReplyDelete